CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 3, 2008

THE TALE OF THE PHILIPPINE ELEPHANT

When I was a kid I am very happy when I first visited Manila Zoo. This is not because that I live in the province nor because I am excited of the snacks that I may eat during such visit. This is because of the new things that I saw in such place which of course consists mainly of animals. Everybody would agree that the animals present on the zoo are not the same animals that we see in every day of our lives.

One of the animals there that I find great fascination is the elephant. Big as it is, such animal caught my attention. And the more I was fascinated when such mammal started to dance by the sound of a flute. Maybe I was lucky enough to see this mammal which not every Filipinos is fortunate to see it.

Last Sunday, I am deeply sorry that the same elephant I saw during my childhood is the single elephant that we have in the country. Maybe its not amazing to know such reality because to have this kind of mammal would cost the Filipino people 1 to 2 million pesos each. This is so as we are not capable of raising such mammal locally.

My senses start to accept such reality but when I think of the billions of dollars being talked about in the Senate with regards to ZTE scandal, I am greatly dismayed. It come to my mind that if our government officials have the guts to corrupt people’s money for their selfish interest, how come they could not afford to buy even five of this mammal. It maybe the reality that elephants are not part of the day to day lives of every Filipinos but is it not worth spending for this mammal for our next generation not just to see it in picture.

Filipinos.... before casting your votes, think first of what a certain politician can do for you even how minute it is.

0 comments: